Oran and Constantine – Flowbird successfully launched two ticketing systems to help drive urban mobility
is the 2nd city of Algeria
is the 3rd city of Algeria
Demographic changes in Algeria coupled with economic development created a shift towards the urbanisation of towns and cities, resulting in a growing need for a more effective transport network. The challenge of revolutionising public transport meant extensive infrastructure investment in both Oran and Constantine, along with the introduction of tramways supported by new ticketing technology and fare payment methods.
Algiers Metro Company appointed Alstom Transport to be the main contractor for the project. With an established positive working relationship already in place, Alstom looked to Flowbird to develop and deliver the integrated ticketing solution.
The system consisted of:
- 150 Flowbird Point of Sales terminals in Constantine, offering both magnetic tickets for occasional users and contactless cards for subscribers
- Astreo ticket vending machines at stations in Oran, giving citizens the opportunity to pay by credit and debit card – a ‘first’ for Algeria
- 450+ integrated magnetic and contactless validators, speeding up boarding times for travellers
- On-vehicle and on-platform solutions purpose-designed to withstand Algeria’s harsh weather conditions
Parkeon’s TransFolio back office system was specified to manage and control the distributed sales and validation devices, and provided the ability to update fares and tariffs, monitor equipment, manage subscriptions and report on revenue and network performance.
- The technology supports multi-lingual graphical user interfaces, providing information in Arabic and French, making it easier for new users to adapt to the new mode of transport
- The solution helped the tramway to deliver a reliable, quality service to passengers, along with reliable data including sales, frequencyof-use information and other operational insights
“The tramway is an undoubted success story as it helps to develop sustainable mobility, to rethink and modernise urban areas, promote architectural heritage and to contribute to the development of towns and employment.”
Flowbird successfully installed an open and scalable multimodal ticketing solution across the Finnish capital city handling 3m transactions a day...
Find out more
Minneapolis Metro Transit
Flowbird ticketing technology – including an innovative solar-powered mobile vending solution – has been introduced into the new Minneapolis Transit bus rapid transit (BRT)...
Find out more